Head Lice-It is expected that parents/carers and families of children attending this school ensure that:
Children’s hair will be checked for head lice at home, using the recommended conditioner/combing detection method;
- Your child does not attend school with untreated head lice;
- Regularly inspect all household members and then treat them if necessary;
- Parents/Carers will notify the school if their child is found to have live lice and advise when appropriate treatment was commenced;
- Use only safe and recommended practices to treat head lice;
- Maintain a sympathetic attitude and avoid stigmatising/blaming families who are experiencing difficulty with control measures;
- Act responsibly and respectfully when dealing with members of the school and broader community especially around issues of head lice.
- To support parents/carers and the broader school community to achieve a consistent, collaborative approach to head lice management the school will undertake to:
Distribute up to date and accurate information on the detection, treatment and control of head lice to parents and staff;
- Include information and updates in school newsletters;
- Provide practical advice and maintain a sympathetic attitude and avoid stigmatising/blaming families who are experiencing difficulty with control measures;
- Access community educational resources and support, such as primary school nurses, community health centres and local government;
- Accept the advice of parents that appropriate treatment has commenced;
- Encourage children to learn about head lice so as to help remove any stigma or ‘bullying’ associated with the issue;
- Be aware of real difficulties some parents may encounter and seek extra support if required;
- Act responsibly and respectfully when dealing with members of the school and broader community especially around issues of Head Lice;
- Continue to seek opportunities to increase our collective understanding of and response to managing head lice.
- There is no requirement for any school to undertake ‘head-lice inspection’ programs.